University of Pennsylvania
arrow Comptroller's Office
arrow Tax and International Operations
arrow Intermediate Sanctions
arrow Tax Research Topics
divider line
arrow Document/Forms
arrow Contact Information
arrow Feedback


Comptroller's Office
University of Pennsylvania
Suite 329 Franklin Building
3451 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104
215.898.6291 (Phone)
215.746.7630 (Fax)

Penn Home Penn A-Z Directories Calendar Maps
Office of the Comptroller

[ Corporate Tax ]

Collecting Sales Taxes

When a university department sells a taxable item or provides a taxable service, it is responsible for collecting the sales tax, unless a tax exemption certificate is obtained. Sales tax exemption certificates should be kept on file by the selling department. Currently, the University is registered to collect and remit sales tax in 35 states. See the link below

Sales tax must be separately stated from the sales price of an item on an invoice. As in a retail store setting, the customer is charged for the listed price of the goods sold along with a separately stated amount of related taxes. The amount of sales tax should be readily identifiable on the invoice.

Maintain copies of all sales tax invoices. Do not back into the sales tax calculation. In other words, do not include the sales tax in the selling price. Upon audit, the auditor will make the determination that the sales tax was not collected and assess the sales tax on the invoiced amount.

Making Purchases

The University of Pennsylvania is exempt from Pennsylvania sales tax for most purchases directly related to our mission of education, research and innovation. Our exemption to which we are entitled is limited and does not extend to all purchases made by the University.

Examples of taxable purchases

  • Business related purchases not paid with a University check or purchasing card
  • Property used in the performance of an unrelated trade or business
  • Materials, supplies and equipment used and installed in the construction, reconstruction, remodeling, repair and maintenance of real estate so as to become a permanent part thereof.
  • Equipment used in the repair and maintenance of real estate
  • Charges for hotel and motel occupancies

The University’s PA sales tax exemption is not transferable to another person. Therefore, staff/faculty that make purchases with their own funds on behalf of the University and is charged sales tax will not be reimbursed for the sales tax. Only payments made with University funds related to the tax-exempt mission would be exempt from sales tax. The vendor should be provided with our PA exemption certificate before the purchase is made. A request for an exemption certificate can be `requested from Purchasing at the link below.

College Hall window

Comptroller Spotlights

GL Object Codes FY2019
Concur Expense Type/Object Code Matrix (2019)
FY2018 Closing Instructions
FY18 Closing Calendar QRG
Guide to RCM Year-End Closing
RCM Year-End Closing Summary Template

Comptroller Offices

Accounts Payable
Tax and International Operations
Office of the President Home Page Penn A-Z Directories Calendar Maps
Copyright © , University of Pennsylvania
3451 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104 · 215.898.5000
Copyright Information | Contact Us | Privacy Policy

Penn Home
Visit Penn's website