[ BEN Financials ]
Desktop hardware & Software Requirements
Desktop & Printer Requirements & Standards
Consistent with Information Systems and Computing's recommendations for accessing Penn's central administrative systems, these are the desktop configurations for BEN Financials. Consult your Local Support Provider if you have questions or need assistance installing the software.
IMPORTANT NOTE:Since BEN Financials was rolled out, some users have experienced problems using supported versions of software with certain features of BEN Financials. In cases where an unsupported version is the only solution to the problem, users and LSPs are advised to install the unsupported version. Such cases are detailed on the BEN Financials Advisories page at http://www.finance.upenn.edu/ben/benfin/advisories.shtml. We regret that these situations occur, but it is not possible for the University to keep up with every requirement imposed by an individual application vendor.
ATTENTION USERS WHO RUN REPORT EXTRACTS IN BEN FINANCIALS: End-users will now retrieve their extract files by using Secure Share Exchange Service. NOTE: End-users can no longer retrieve extract files from their home directory on the BEN Financials FTP server (Findata).
Documentation on Extracts and extract retrieval can be found at:
Secure Share file exchange application is available to all Penn faculty and Staff with a valid PennKey and PennKey password and can be assessed at: https://medley.isc-seo.upenn.edu/secureShare/jsp/fast.do
- Windows 7 is currently the only version of Windows certified.
- Recommended Configuration: Desktop Standard
- Web Browser: Internet Explorer 11.0, 10.0, 9.0, 8.0 and Firefox 24 & 31 are certified to work with Oracle
NOTE: In order for IE 10 & IE 11 to work with BEN Financials. ‘upenn.edu’ must be added to the Compatibility View (Tools > Compatibility View settings).
NOTE: Planning users (Oracle EPM/Hyperion) will not be able to access Planning using IE 10. Browser recommendations for Planning is located here, http://www.budget.upenn.edu/plantools/
- Client Software:
- BEN Financials and BEN Pays Invoice Imaging: Beginning Monday, December 1, 2014, Java 7 Update 65 will be the lowest version of JRE that will be supported. BEN Financials client systems must have a minimum version of Java 7 Update 65 (1.7.0_65) through the latest update of version 1.7. Please note that Java 7 Update 65 has been certified by the BEN Financials team but individual updates higher than update 65 have not been certified but should work with BEN Financials. Java version 8 is not certified for use with BEN Financials.
- BEN Requisitions and Penn Marketplace: SUN JRE software is NOT required for end users who have access ONLY to the Requisitioner responsibility (i.e., to shop in the Penn Marketplace)
- BEN Pays Invoice Imaging: Invoice imaging browser based viewer requires Flash Player. The vendor supports Adobe Flash Player version 10 and above for use with the MarkView viewer, provided that the version is supported by Adobe for the operating system and browser version in use.
- 1024 x 768 or above resolution
- 17-inch or larger monitor recommended, but not required
Mac OS 10.x
Requirements for BEN Financials and BEN Pays Invoice Imaging: To use BEN Pays, BEN Balances, and/or the full complement of BEN Buys capabilities, you will need this configuration:
- Intel-based Mac with Mac OS 10.7.x, 10.8.x, 10.9.x
- Minimum Recommended Configuration: Desktop Standard
- OS X Lion (10.7), Mountain Lion (10.8), and Mavericks (10.9) are certified by Oracle
- Web Browser: Safari 5.1, Safari 6, or Safari 7.
- Client Software:
- BEN users’ machines must have a supported version of the JRE plug-in. Current guidance from Oracle is that end users can use the most current version of Java, not only the most recent certified version. As of December 1, 2014, this means that BEN Financials must use at least JRE 1.7_65 but can upgrade to the most recent version of JRE 1.7_X. This allows Penn’s constituents to keep their computers up to date with Oracle's most recent Java vulnerability fixes. However, Java version 8 is not certified for use with BEN Financials.
- 1024x768 or above resolution
Windows and Macintosh: Additional Information
For additional information on desktop standards or if you are purchasing a new system, consult your local support provider (LSP) or refer to the Desktop standards.