[ BEN Financials ]
Desktop hardware & Software Requirements
Desktop & Printer Requirements & Standards
Consistent with Information Systems and Computing's recommendations for accessing Penn's central administrative systems, these are the desktop configurations for BEN Financials. Consult your Local Support Provider if you have questions or need assistance installing the software.
IMPORTANT NOTE:Since BEN Financials was rolled out, some users have experienced problems using supported versions of software with certain features of BEN Financials. In cases where an unsupported version is the only solution to the problem, users and LSPs are advised to install the unsupported version. Such cases are detailed on the BEN Financials Advisories page at http://www.finance.upenn.edu/ben/benfin/advisories.shtml. We regret that these situations occur, but it is not possible for the University to keep up with every requirement imposed by an individual application vendor.
ATTENTION USERS WHO RUN REPORT EXTRACTS IN BEN FINANCIALS: End-users will now retrieve their extract files by using Secure Share Exchange Service. NOTE: End-users can no longer retrieve extract files from their home directory on the BEN Financials FTP server (Findata).
Documentation on Extracts and extract retrieval can be found at:
Secure Share file exchange application is available to all Penn faculty and Staff with a valid PennKey and PennKey password and can be assessed at: https://medley.isc-seo.upenn.edu/secureShare/jsp/fast.do
Windows 7, XP, & Vista
- Windows 7, XP Service Pack 3, and Windows Vista Service Pack 2 are currently the only versions of Windows certified by Oracle.
- Recommended Configuration: Desktop Standard
- Web Browser: Internet Explorer 9.0, 8.0 and Firefox 10 ESR are certified to work with Oracle
- Client Software:
- BEN Financials and BEN Pays Invoice Imaging: Effective Monday, April 8th, Java 6 Update 43 will be the lowest version of JRE that will be supported for use with BEN Financials. The BEN Financials server has been updated and it now delivers JRE 6 Update 43 to workstations that connect to BEN and do not yet have JRE installed. DO NOT upgrade to Java 7, as it is not yet certified for use with BEN Financials.
- BEN Requisitions and Penn Marketplace: SUN JRE software is NOT required for end users who have access ONLY to the Requisitioner responsibility (i.e., to shop in the Penn Marketplace)
- 1024 x 768 or above resolution
- 17-inch or larger monitor recommended, but not required
Mac OS 10.x
Requirements for BEN Financials and BEN Pays Invoice Imaging: To use BEN Pays, BEN Balances, and/or the full complement of BEN Buys capabilities, you will need this configuration:
- Intel-based Mac with Mac OS 10.6.x and 10.7.x
- Minimum Recommended Configuration: Desktop Standard
- Users of Macintoshes are encouraged to use FireFox 3.6.x in native Mac OS. While this combination is not certified by Oracle and support is not guaranteed, the applications are expected to function normally. If a user experiences behavior that is not as expected they should instead use Apple’s Boot Camp which Oracle has certified to work. If Boot Camp is needed, users should follow the software guidelines for Windows listed above.
- 1024x768 or above resolution
Windows and Macintosh: Additional Information
For additional information on desktop standards or if you are purchasing a new system, consult your local support provider (LSP) or refer to the Desktop standards.