[ Payroll ]
Policies & Procedures
There are times when an employee is overpaid and the University needs to be reimbursed. Please submit an overpayment calculation form to the payroll department.
Request for Overpayment Calculation
- The name, social security number, the correct gross amount (that the employee should have been paid)
- Pay period end date
- Payroll Department will contact you by e-mail with the net amount of the overpayment
- The net overpayment amount will automatically be deducted from their subsequent pay(s) until it is fully recovered
- Tell employee not to spend the money!
- Please do not remit any personal checks to the Payroll Department for the net amount of the overpayment
unless the employee has been terminated
- Contact the Payroll Department with any questions or concerns at
firstname.lastname@example.org or 215.898.6301
Please see below for repayment of the prior-year wages paid back in the current year:
The wages paid in error in the prior year remain taxable to the employee for that year. This is because
the employee received and had use of those funds during that year. The employee is not entitled to file an amended return
(Form 1040X) to recover the income tax on these wages. Instead, the employee is entitled to a deduction (or credit in some cases)
for the repaid wages on his or her income tax return for the year of repayment.