All new vendors require a W-9 to be set up in the Penn Marketplace. Each individual or company will be given a unique supplier number. In addition, each must have a valid tax identification or social security number. Companies which merge or change names are given a new supplier number and the old supplier number is inactivated to prevent end-users from selecting a supplier which no longer exists.
Options for sending PO Invoices to AP
- Sign up for access to the Penn Marketplace supplier portal:
- Flat file
- Create an invoice in the system (“PO flip”)
- Send invoices via email:
- Contact the AP Help Desk at email@example.com to request to become an email vendor.
- Invoices can also be sent via mail to:
440 Franklin Building
3451 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6281
Benefits of sending invoices via Penn Marketplace portal or email:
- The Penn Marketplace is real-time
- Eliminates supplier paper and postage cost
- Eliminates the time it takes for AP to receive invoices via postal mail
- Eliminates the time it takes to open the mail and scan invoices into our system
- Emailed invoice goes directly into our processing queue
Once received by AP, the turnaround time for invoice-processing is between 3 and 5 business days. All invoices must have a valid purchase order number in order to get paid. Payment terms are dependent on selected payment methods.
When placing an order, be sure to give the address where the items should be shipped. Accounts Payable will not accept any packages, and the packages will be returned.
Please note: All new PO vendors must be onboarded and approved by submitting a New PO Supplier request on the Penn Marketplace. Purchasing will review the request and will send an invitation to the supplier to register on the Penn Marketplace portal.
System holds are placed on invoices when:
- The purchase order amount is $5000 or more
- The quantity differs
- The price of the invoice line is greater than $25 of the purchase order line
Purchase order invoices are matched by the line description as well as the quantity and price. An invoice number should be used only once. Duplicate invoice numbers are checked by the system, and if it is determined to be a duplicate, the invoice is returned to the supplier with either a check number and date or the hold status.
Approving Invoice Holds - depending on the type of hold, holds are released by either the buyer receipting the quantity billed in BEN or by placing the Holds Resolved Markup on the image.
When responding to BEN Alerts, please do one of the following:
- Quantity Received Hold - Enter a receipt. It is not necessary to stamp the image. If the receipt was done properly, the invoice will transition out of the user’s inbox overnight.
- Quantity Ordered Hold - Use the Holds Resolved Markup through MarkView to release the hold.
- Maximum Shipment Amount Hold - Use the Holds Resolved Markup through MarkView to release the hold.
- Comment Requested - Use the Return to AP Markup through MarkView with a detailed explanation as to why you are sending the invoice back. If you are requesting the invoice to be cancelled, please provide a detailed explanation.
For additional information regarding Invoice Holds, please follow this link to BEN Knows.
Finally Closed Purchase Orders
Purchase order numbers should not be finally closed until all invoices have been received and processed, which will include a check number and date the check was issued. All purchase order numbers are finally closed by Accounts Payable. Invoices that are sent to AP on Finally Closed or Cancelled PO’s will be rejected back to the vendor asking them to contact the buyer. If the buyer determines payment is needed, the invoice must be submitted to AP via a Non-PO Payment Request Form or against a new PO.
Cancelled Purchase Orders - Departments should never cancel a purchase order that has been matched to an invoice.
Please email Accounts Payable for all Final Close requests with an explanation of why you need the PO Finally Closed. The buyer’s name must also appear in the Final Close Request.
A Final Close request for a PO that still has an open invoice on it in the system will be rejected.