205.SCH: Surplus/Deficit Report
Last Updated: 9/10/06
The 205.SCH Surplus/Deficit report provides a list of funds that have a cumulative net cash position of a surplus or a deficit. Funds which show neither a surplus nor a deficit (that is, the cumulative net cash position is exactly $0.00) will not appear on this report. For each fund, the report shows the current-year operating (surplus)/deficit, the current-year cash effect of other activity not included in the operating (surplus)/deficit, the current-year net cash position, the prior- year cash position, and the cumulative cash position.
Since balances for a fund may be associated with multiple schools/centers, the 205.SCH report displays each school/center's contribution to the fund's net surplus/deficit position.
The Surplus/Deficit report provides balances for funds in the following fund groups: General Operating Funds (but not the 000000 fund), Designated Investment Income Funds, Designated Gift Funds, Other Unrestricted Funds. Please note that this report can not be used to report any other fund group activity.
The report break determines the page-break, the first level of sort order, and the level of aggregation for the report.
Report 205.SCH provides a page break to show funds with a Surplus separately from funds in a Deficit position.
Funds are sorted first according to the school/center associated with the Resp Org. Within school/center, two different sort order options are available when reporting surplus/deficit status. The first option lists accounts by FUND/RESP ORG value within Fund Group sequence*. In this option, totals are provided by fund group, and for the endowed and gift fund groups, sub-totals are also provided by fund. The second option lists accounts in RESP ORG/Fund Group/FUND sequence. Totals are provided for each Resp Org and fund group, and for the endowed and gift fund groups, sub-totals are also provided by fund.
The 205.SCH report uses Template 1A to determine which objects codes are included. Only the rows from the section at the bottom are included; they become the columns in this report. For the details of which object codes are included in each of these, see http://www.budget.upenn.edu/dlDocs/RCM_template_1A.pdf
In addition to the Accounting Period (Period Name), the following parameters are provided for account selection on the 205.SCH report:
- Resp ORG Low/High: Unlike other BEN Financials GL reports, the 205.SCH uses the Resp ORG parameter as both an ORG and Resp ORG value. The value supplied in the Resp ORG parameter is used to construct an implicit "ORG or RESP ORG" condition so that the report can retrieve information for the common funds, like the service center fund.
- Net Asset Class: Valid choices are '0', '1', or "S" ['0' is the default value]
Selects NAC 0, unrestricted.
Selects NAC 1, temporarily restricted.
Selects the sum of NAC 0 and NAC 1 combined.
- Report Option: Valid choices are '1', '2', or '3' ['1' is the default value]
Selects both the Surplus and the Deficit reports.
Selects only the Deficit Report
Selects only the Surplus Report
- Sort Order:
Valid choices are '1', or '2' ['1' is the default value]
Lists accounts in order by FUND-RESP ORG
Lists accounts in order by RESP ORG-FUND
The report heading includes the following information:
- For Period Of:
Indicates the accounting period for which information is being reported. Accounting period is specified as a parameter when the report is requested.
- Format: Dr / (Cr)
Indicates how the debits and credits are displayed on the report.
- Responsible School/center
Next to this label, the value of the School/Center associated with the Resp Org is displayed.
The alphabetic descriptions associated with the School/Center value is provided.
From left to right, the report columns will provide the following balances:
- FUND-RESP ORG or RESP ORG-FUND: Depending on the sort parameter selected, this column displays either the Fund value followed by its Responsible Organization or Responsible Organization followed by Fund for the balances on the row. Note: for the common funds, the value displayed in this column is the ORG associated with the balance, rather than the true Resp ORG for the fund.
- Description: The description associated with the FUND-RESP ORG or RESP ORG-FUND.
- Posted center: The school/center associated with the balances shown.
- ORG: The Organization associated with the balances shown.
The following columns contain the same information as the rows that would appear in the section at the bottom of a 1xx.ORG or 2xx.SCH report run for the fund specified.
- Current Year Operating (Surplus)/Deficit
- Current Year Net Cash Position (Surplus)/Deficit
- Prior Year Cash Position (Surplus)/Deficit
- Cumulative Cash Position (Surplus)/Deficit
Last Page Of The Report:
On the last page of every report two pieces of important information are provided Report Parameters and Report Break - Resolved Parameters. We recommend that you keep this parameters page with the report to document what the report includes.
- Report Parameters
The parameters used to request the report are printed on the last page as confirmation of what was requested. If the funds returned to you in the report are not what you expected, the report parameters list is a useful first place to start. At a minimum, you can verify the range of values you provided at the time you submitted the request.
- Report Break -- Resolved Parameters
The list provided here represents the list of values within the range you provided as Report Parameters that passed security verification. When a report is submitted, RESP ORGanization parameters that were provided are compared with your BEN Financials security profile. All ORGanizations in the range that match your profile will be returned to you in the report.
This is a good second place to look if you did not get the results you expected. Compare the list of RESP ORGanizations in this list against the parameter range you provided. If a RESP ORGanization is missing, chances are it does not exist in your security profile.