[ Disbursements - Accounts Payable ]
4th Floor Franklin Building- Room 440
3451 Walnut St
Office hours- 10:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m.
Phone: (215) 898-2626
Fax: (215) 573-4234
Email: APSUP@exchange.upenn.edu for inquiries only (Do not email invoices)
Accounts Payable is responsible for processing invoices and issuing payments for Companies, Individuals, and Foreign Drafts. This includes payments to Foreign Nationals, students, faculty, staff, human subject payments and independent contractors. Accounts Payable is also responsible for the Voiding and Reissuing of Payments made by the University. Payments are made against approved and reserved purchase orders or via one of several forms, including the Procurement/Disbursement Authorization Form (PDA) and the Request for Petty Cash Reimbursement. PDA Forms are used for payments when a PO cannot be issued. PDA for payments to companies as well as all foreign draft requests are sent to Accounts Payable via Intramural mail.
Please refer to our Document/Forms Library for Procurement/Payment transactions.
The BEN Financials Commodity Matrix can also assist you in determining the appropriate method for procurement and payment of products and services.
Year-End Processing Dates for FY14
Accounts Payable *:
What's New in AP ??
- Friday, June 13th, 5:00 p.m.* Final day to request Final Closing of Purchase Orders in FY 2014
- Friday, June 13th, 5:00 p.m.* PDA-Forms and C1 Travel Reimbursements to be processed in FY 2014
- Friday, June 20th, 5:00 p.m.* Purchase order invoices to be processed in FY 2014
- Friday, June 20th, 5:00 p.m.* Requests to correct and reverse receipts for FY 2014
- Friday, June 20th, 5:00 p.m.* Will Call checks
With the transition of employee/student reimbursements to Concur (3-4k/month) and our efforts to keep the BEN Suppliers clean and current (employees/students make up more than 40% of BEN active suppliers), plans are underway to systematically deactivate employee/student suppliers in BEN Financials. This implementation will be completed on or before April 15th.
Starting April 16th to reactivate an employee or student supplier for a payment (see below) we will be requiring a W-9 with the PDA-ES Form. Additionally, the payment method will be a manual check. This affects payments from BEN only and does not have any impact on the electronic payment setup in Payroll and Concur.
Future BEN payments (estimated 100/month) to employees or students should be limited mostly to tax reportable transactions (using the PDA-ES Form):
- Student awards
- Vendor type services (e.g. photography, musician)
- Human Subject (direct payments)
- Legal Settlements
Other payments would include (W-9 not required):
Introduction of PDA Forms
- Advances for human subject payments
As of August 12th the Individual Disbursements Services Department (IDS) has merged with Accounts Payable on the 4th floor of the Franklin Building, Rm 440.
As of October 16th we have introduced the new Procurement/Disbursement Authorization Forms (PDA). The old C-368 Forms and travel C5,C7,C7A Forms will be phased out and no longer accepted after December 31, 2013.
Please use the new PDA Forms going forward.
1099 Manual Process
- PDA-NA Form (Non-Affiliates) This form should be used for Corporate Suppliers/Individuals or Non Corporate Entities
- PDA-ES Form (Employee/Student) This form should be used for Employees/Students and Foreign National Employee/Students for taxable payments. Reimbursements should be going through Concur.
- PDA-F Form (Foreign Non-Affiliates- Corporations/Individuals) This form should be used for all Foreign Corporation/Foreign Individuals or Non Corporate Entities and Foreign Drafts.
- PDA-W Form (Wire Transfer) This form should be used only for payments over $100,000 or International Payments specifically stating wire transfer is required can be paid via Wire/ACH transfer, unless authorized by the treasurer’s office.
1099 Manual Process for Payments Made Outside of BEN Financials for 2013
Below is the procedure for gathering 1099 information for individuals who are paid more than $600 via Petty Cash, Gift Cards, etc.
- Collect W9’s for participants who will meet the minimum of $600 requiring a 1099
- Store W9’s in a secure location until the end of the calendar year
- Keep a running spreadsheet throughout the year keeping track of which participants/individuals will meet the $600 threshold for payments
- Spreadsheet can be found on AP website/Documents/Forms http://www.finance.upenn.edu/comptroller/forms/#Accounts_Payable
- Print spreadsheet and attach W9’s (only for participants who require a 1099) and send to Accounts Payable by January 8, 2014
- Email spreadsheet to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 8, 2014