Accounts Payable is responsible for processing invoices and issuing payments for vendors and individuals. This includes payments to foreign nationals, students, faculty, staff, and independent contractors.
Accounts Payable is also responsible for the voiding and reissuing of payments made by the University. Payments are made against approved purchase orders (POs) and using the Penn Marketplace (PME) electronic SP/Non-PO Payment Request forms. The Non-PO Payment Request form is used for payments when a PO cannot be issued.
What’s New in AP
- PO finally close requests must be submitted via the PO Finally Close Request Form via Ben Helps (https://benhelps.upenn.edu/support/home) starting April 1, 2022.
- Eliminating paper PO invoices being received via intramural and postal mail effective July 1, 2022.
- Eliminating our AP email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) and phone support line (215-898-2626) effective July 1, 2022.
PO Finally Close Request Form
As of April 1, 2022, all PO finally close requests must be submitted via the PO Finally Close Request Form/Excel template via the BEN Helps Support Portal (https://benhelps.upenn.edu/support/home). The form/Excel template should only include one attachment and should not include multiple tabs. We are working to fully automate the finally close process to provide a quicker more efficient process.
Elimination Of Paper PO Invoices Received Via Postal Mail
- No more waiting for AP to receive invoices in the mail. By emailing or flipping PO’s, the invoice will be sent directly to our working queues which will allow your invoices to be processed quicker.
- Environment Friendly – Reducing paper waste is good for the environment
- Supplier paper and postage savings
Instructions for Emailing Invoices and PO Flips
- Must send in PDF format: one file per invoice, number of files per email is unlimited
- PO number must be included on the invoice, not in the body of email or subject
- DO NOT send other attachment formats with the invoices such as excel spreadsheets. This will cause the email/invoice to be rejected.
- DO NOT send inquiries to this email box, this email address is not monitored. Supplier or payee inquiries should be sent to our Penn web form: https://www.finance.upenn.edu/supplier-payee-submission-form/
Elimination Of AP Email Address & Phone Support Line
The Accounts Payable Office of the University of Pennsylvania will be eliminating the APSUP email address (email@example.com) and the AP phone support line (215-898-2626) effective July 2022.
For future inquiries:
If you are a Penn employee please log in to BEN Helps (https://benhelps.upenn.edu/support/home) and search your question using our solution articles. You can also submit a ticket.
If you are a Penn supplier or payee please use the following options.
- If you are not already registered with our Penn Marketplace please reach out to your Penn Buyer and ask to be invited. Once registered you will have the opportunity to view your PO’s and invoices/payment statuses. We also encourage you to sign up for electronic payment.
- If you have inquiries please use the following form (https://www.finance.upenn.edu/supplier-payee-submission-form/).
We appreciate your assistance in helping us provide best-practice support.
1099 Manual Process for Payments Made Outside of BEN Financials for 2021
Below is the procedure for gathering 1099 information for individuals who are paid more than $600 via Petty Cash, Gift Cards, etc.
- Collect W9’s for participants who will meet the minimum of $600 requiring a 1099
- Store W9’s in a secure location until the end of the calendar year
- Keep a running spreadsheet throughout the year keeping track of which participants/ individuals will meet the $600 threshold for payments.
- Spreadsheet can be found on AP website/Documents/Forms
- Print spreadsheet and attach W9’s (only for participants who require a 1099)
- Email spreadsheet via Secure Share to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 5, 2022
Accounts Payable Contact Information
Visit the BEN Helps Portal to search solution articles, submit inquiries and forms (Stop/Reissues, 1099 Requests, PO Finally Close and PO Receipt Corrections) https://benhelps.upenn.edu/support/home or email DOFAPSupp@pobox.upenn.edu (for inquiries only- do not email invoices).
3451 Walnut Street Room 440
Philadelphia, PA 19104